It’s election time. Is climate on your mind?
I don’t want to be dramatic, but…it’s go time! We are seeing the impacts of climate change in our everyday lives. The tornado in Barrie, the drought in the Prairies, the wildfires out West, and the never-ending heat waves everywhere are really clear signs that we need to take climate action…like yesterday!
So how do we do that? Well, one of the biggest things you can do to create the systemic change that we need to stop climate change is to VOTE – and to vote with the climate in mind. But that can be challenging to navigate. We’re here to help!
Here are some great resources for comparing party platforms and deciding who will best serve the planet:
- Global News has a ‘Promise Tracker’ that lists all the promises made by the Conservatives, Liberals, NDP, Green Party, and Bloc Québécois on climate change. It also has lists of promises on other topics too, such as health care, real estate, the economy, COVID-19, etc. Overall, this is a good resource to gain a comprehensive understanding of where each party stands, which can help you make an informed choice on election day!
- The National Observer highlights the key climate action initiatives from the Liberals, Conservatives, NDP, and Green Party. The benefit of this article is that it also provides some ‘reality checks,’ highlighting problems with, and feasibility of, certain initiatives.
- If listening is more your thing, take a listen to the What on Earth with Laura Lynch episode titled Will Canadians cast a vote for climate?
- For a short read, check out the The Tyee’s article outlining where each party stands on climate action, a brief history of how Canada hasn’t hit a single climate action goal yet, and why there’s also room for hope for the future.
- Finally, check out the One Earth. One Vote Campaign. This is a non-partisan initiative led by a group of Canadian organizations with the goal of ensuring that the environment, social justice, and Indigenous rights are the top priorities in the upcoming election. Most importantly, they list four key steps you can take right now to demand a better future.
And don’t forget to talk to the candidates in your riding. They’re there to answer your burning climate questions!
Be sure to follow our social channels for more daily tips & resources on how you can bring down carbon emissions.